Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Savory Autumn Veggies

Savory Autumn Veggies

 Butternut Squash


   I have been on a quest to learn to cook some of those healthy, supposedly delicious, 
and odd looking varieties of squash I've seen in grocery stores.  I have always liked and eaten yellow squash, zucchini, white squash. I've even grown, eaten and like spaghetti squash!  It occurred to me that I had no idea how to cook them or if I liked them?  I actually have not found one yet that was not good and I've got a couple more kinds to go.
The following recipe is my favorite thus far. I need to find out if anyone has Aunt Nina Koogler's squash casserole recipe. That was some mighty fine stuff! I think next I'll try to prepare a recipe with delicatta squash!

Ingredients:
one small butternut squash
one large yam or sweet potato
two large red potatoes
one medium white potato
one medium Bermuda Purple onion
three green onions
1 tsp coarse sea salt
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
large bowl
13x9 cookie sheet


Directions:

Preheat oven to 425*
To prepare a butternut squash to cook it must be peeled.
Cut it in half, then cut each half into four to six pieces.
scoop out seeds and discard, remove peeling
dice the peeled slices into 1 inch cubes
peel yam and dice into 2 inch cubes
wash and dice red and white potatoes
peel and slice purple onion into rings
wash and dice green onions
toss all veggies in large bowl with olive oil to coat
add seasonings, add brown sugar and toss well
toss with bread crumbs to coat. 
The bread crumbs help with the flavor, texture and roasting.
Spread this mixture over a 13x9x1 cookie sheet
Bake 45 min. at 425* in oven.
Smells so good roasting it will make you very hungry!  




Finished recipe ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment