Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Baking a Spiral Sliced Ham



I am posting this blog for myself for future reference as a How To Guide.

   Until today I had never baked a ham all by myself. I have before with my mom standing over me to tell me what I needed to do.   Kenny came toting in with a Christmas ham from his work the other day and I decided quickly it was time for me to figure this out.
I phoned my mother to ask her what I needed to do and wrote it down in my glyphs and shorthand.    It turned out to be easy, delicious and perfect!

Ingredients:
One spiral sliced bone-in ham
the little packet of glaze mix comes with these hams and it is not nearly enough.
1 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp nutmeg
large roasting pan
4 cups orange juice divided
2 cups Sprite
1 cup water
2 Tbsp Yellow mustard


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350*
Place ham in roaster
Mix 2 cups orange juice , 2 cups Sprite and 1 cup water and pour over ham.
Cover with lid to roaster and place in pre-heated oven for 20 min. per pound
For my 9 lb 37 oz ham figure 180 minutes= 3 hrs
I set my timer for 2 hrs 30 min.
Ham or any roast pork should be cooked to 170* to be done and safe to consume.
I always use a meat thermometer.

While ham is roasting in a 2 quart sauce pan place contents of glaze packet
All the spices, flour and brown sugar
Add in 2 cups Orange juice and mustard
Stir thoroughly and bring to a light boil to dissolve all sugars completely and
mix well til smooth and rich brown. Don't allow it to scorch but boil lightly til it bubbles good and you can see the glaze has a smooth, rich, thick consistency.

Set aside off heat and allow to cool and thicken


When your timer goes off  bring the ham out of the oven.
Pour off some of the excess liquid if there is much in the bottom of your roaster
Pour and brush glaze down over your ham. Allow some of the glaze to go down between the slices.

Place back in oven for remaining 30 min.
Bring out and cool slightly before serving.


Beautifully cooked spiral sliced ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment