Friday, November 1, 2013

Pumpkin Bread Recipe



Ingredients:
2/3 Cup shortening
2 2/3 cups sugar
 4 eggs
 16 oz. can pumpkin
 2/3 cup water
 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
 2 teaspoons baking soda
 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1 teaspoon ground cloves
 2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts
2/3 cup raisins
***See substitutions and additions at the bottom of this page*** Directions:
Heat oven to 350*
 Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans
 *This recipe may be made in a clean metal coffee can to bake round pumpkin bread slices
, but grease entire inside of can lightly and only fill can 2/3 full to allow for expansion of bread*
I baked one round and one regular this time. Use 9x5x3" size for rectangular loaves
 Mix shortening, sugar, pumpkin, eggs and water in one large bowl.
I mix together all my dry, powdered ingredients with a sifter.
Then blend them into the wet ingredients Last stir in the nuts and raisins.
 Pour into pans and bake for 1 hr 10 min or until a butter knife inserted into loaf comes out clean.
 Allow to cool completely before slicing. Wrap & Refrigerate to store for up to 10 days.

11/1/13** Substitutions and Additions***
Today when I made this recipe I lacked the ground cloves.
I had whole cloves so I put them through the coffee mill to make my own.
I still lacked 1/2 tsp. 
I added what I had to the dry ingredients.
Then I put about 1 tablespoon of crystallized ginger in the coffee mill.
I added that to the dry ingredients.
I added a dash of nutmeg . This helped make up for the spicey flavor which would have been lacking without the rest of the cloves.

I also added about 1/2 cup sourcream and substituted buttermilk for the water.
Makes for moist, flavorful and more nutritious bread. I look for any opportunity to
include buttermilk in recipes since it is full of probiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment