Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Conings Farm & Produce Stand--Buying Farm Fresh Local Foods Series Part 2



Rose Moss growing in a huge planter at Conings


Conings Farm & Produce Stand--Buying Farm Fresh Local Foods Series Part 2

Wednesday July 16, 2014
   I am blessed to live in beautiful Blount County, Tennessee in the Foothills of the
Smoky Mountains.   My address is "Muravul"(Maryville), but I am as far out as you can live
and still have that as a designation.  I live looking at Walland Gap. It is the opening in Chilhowee
Mountain which is the first range of mountains in the Smokies.   The mountain is long and runs from Sevierville all the way down to Chilhowee Lake. It is a mostly rural county.  Out toward the mountains are some good farms and produce markets.  I went to Conings today. Here is a link to their Facebook page.  Conings Family Farm

 I was real pleased to find it still open. I did not make it out there all last Summer.

    The drive out there is gorgeous.  It is out Montvale Rd then turn right onto Blockhouse Rd.
Then go straight across onto Taylor Road.    It sits on the left of Taylor Road.  
It was open for business and they had all sorts of good things that day.
Green beans, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, cantaloupes, watermelons, cabbage and other goodies.

I purchased pickled baby beets, cabbage, tomatoes, peaches and cream corn, and a sugarbaby 

watermelon.    I enjoyed the view of the mountains.  While I was there the sky opened up and the rains came down again.  A nice young man helped me to my jeep in the rain since my arms were loaded down.   

       

Top: Conings Farm against the beautiful mountains

Bottom: wheelbarrow full of petunias under the pavilion



Top: Cantaloupes and Sugar Baby Watermelons
Bottom: Green beans, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, onions and other goodies

Peaches and Cream Corn boiled up and ready to eat!
It was so delicious it all got eaten! 
I purchased 12 ears for $4.50
It is a Blount County specialty.

Take a pretty drive out to Conings Farm to get you some good things to eat
and enjoy the view. Kenny is already asking me to go back and get some more!


No comments:

Post a Comment